tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mike DiChiappari <mdichiapp...@domanisoft.com>
Subject RE: I don´t understand the objective of this open list !
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:37:10 GMT
Notice that I didn't ask a question JOEL BERGMAN (are you a Jakarta
developer).  I simply chimed in when someone else expressed
dissatisfaction with this list.  I have been disappointed and
frustrated by the **** that is called documentation.  I stopped
trying to get tomcat to work properly over a year ago.  Recently I
looked into it again, and noticed little to no improvement.

Note that my background is technical, with over twenty years of
building commercial quality software.  I don't believe in a lot of
pie-in-the-sky ideals in terms of software development.  I rate
software on three important criteria: does it do what it is intended,
can it be used easily, and is it maintainable.

In terms of tomcat, I give it a grade of incomplete on all three of
the above.  I can not tell if it does what its supposed to because I
can't get it to work with a reasonable amount of effort.

Here if my contribution to Jarkata and people looking for a low cost
Java solution.  Use JRUN (discalimer: I am not affiliated with
Macromedia in any way).  It is under $1000 and includes a full J2EE
implementation (JSP, servlets, EJB).  It looks like the installer
does all the stuff that mod_jk, mod_jk2, and mod_web are supposed to
(if anyone could get them to work).  A development version is
available for free.

Mike