tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rolf Borgen Guescini <r.b.guesc...@ilf-stud.uio.no>
Subject RE: Mutliuser setup
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 22:21:29 GMT
Thanks both to you and David Brown for the quick response ! : )

As this was my first posting to this mailing list, and since I don't have
any experience with posting on such lists, I see that I expressed myself a
little bit inexact. But Jeremy's idea of reading the RUNNING.txt is quit
to the point:

"In many circumstances, it is desirable to have a single copy of a Tomcat 4
binary distribution shared among multiple users on the same server. "

This is what I would like to do:
the os is sparc-sun-solaris2.5 on a sun box - i don't know more about it,
I'm sorry..
My plan was to have the administrator
create a group that would have access to a directory on the server where
each user in that group had their own directories which I could set up as
contexts in server.xml

What I would like to know then is where the best place would be to place
Tomcat since the administrator wants control startups and shutdowns.

the next thing the RUNNING.txt says is:

you must configure a CATALINA_BASE environment variable (in
addition to CATALINA_HOME as described above) that points to a directory
that is unique to your instance

what would be a directory that is unique to my instance ?

could the user directory that the administrator creates be that directory?

since
When you do this, Tomcat 4 will calculate all relative references for
files in the following directories based on the value for CATALINA_BASE
instead of CATALINA_HOME:

* conf - Server configuration files (including server.xml)

* logs - Log and output files

* webapps - Automatically loaded web applications

* work - Temporary working directories for web applications

Whould this solve my task or have I completely gotten it wrong?

Maybe also what David Brown wrote about adresses what might become a
future problem: the service won't be public with a lot of traffic on it,
but the pages would be openly acessible. Since there have been several
attacks on our different servers, security is a hot issue these days, and
I have a hard time finding out how to solve the problem of having to bug
the administrator each time we need the server reset. It would be great if
there was a solution to this problem.

I am grateful for all help I can get in learning this ! : )

Rolf
                                ~\\|//~
                                -(o o)-
               ************oOOOo**(_)**oOOOo************
               *         Rolf Borgen Guescini          *
               *        -----------------------        *
               *           rolfbg@turing.uio.no        *
               *           niffel@chello.no            *
               *         http://folk.uio.no/rolfbg     *
               *             .oooO   Oooo.             *
		               \_)   (_/