tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Session timeout setting (URGENT)
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2002 20:46:24 GMT
On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Kenny G. Dubuisson, Jr. wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.  Here are my responses:
>
> > - Tomcat's conf web.xml sets the default session-timeout (in
> > session-config element) to use for all web apps.
>
> That makes sense to me but the setting in my
> $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml is set to 30 mins which to me says that
> Tomcat is not using it.

I just posted a response in this thread, and as I suggested there, my
sense is that what's going on with your webapp is not related to the
tomcat session timeout.  I suspect there is something else going on,
and you're going to need to do some further investigation on your own
and/or provide more information to us to get to the bottom of it.

> > - You can specify a different session-timeout in each specific web
> > app you deploy in the web app's WEB-INF/web.xml file.
>
> I haven't created a web.xml for my app...should I?  I tried copying

I'd say you should -- regardless of its relation to this problem.  It
is a good idea to define your servlets, and provide mapping's to
access them.  The conf/web.xml will allow you to provide some
site-wide defaults, but it does nothing specific to your webapp.

> the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml over to my app's WEB-INF directory
> and changing the session-timeout setting to 120 mins to see if it
> worked.  The problem was that my app totally stopped working; I
> couldn't even get my main login page to display.  This says to me
> that there is a lot more involved in creating a web.xml than just
> copying it over from the conf directory.  But realistically I don't

And that is something that you should probably learn, because it may
help in this situation, and if not, it quite likely will help in the
future.  webapp-specific web.xmls's do not have to be very complicated.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu