tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject "Naive question" thread
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:15:00 GMT

Saw a post in the "naive question" thread earlier today that I wanted
to respond to, but my quick "delete" finger got to it before I got
around to it.  This was a thread in which John Turner, Denise Mangano,
and some others had been participating.

Anyway, Denise posted the output of ps that had a whole bunch of java
processes listed.  I'd be concerned about the number of such
processes, because normally there shouldn't be so many -- in fact,
most typically (i.e. one tomcat instance), there should be just one.
Now, Denise said she's using linux, and it's my understanding that ps
under linux will list threads, not just processes.  So it's possible
all those java listings were all the threads running in one java
process.  And I think there's an option to ps to cause it list actual
processes, not threads.  So you might try that and see what the output
looks like.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu