tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: mod_jk connection issues, more information.
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:57:47 GMT
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Simon Chatfield wrote:

> I made the following change
>
> <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
>                 port="8009" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="100"
>                 enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
>                 acceptCount="100" debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
>                 useURIValidationHack="false"
>
> protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"/>

Could you indicate what you changed?  maxProcessors?  acceptCount?
connectionTimeout?  (Perhaps you posted what it was earlier in the
thread, but if so I missed it.)  Thanks.

FWIW, my comment below was about Ajp13Connector, I didn't realize you
were using CoyoteConnector.  And looks like Ajp13Connector has the
maxProcessors and acceptCount attributes, but not connectionTimeout.

> And it appears to have fixed the lock-up problem at least. The problem
> wasn't in tomcat in my estimation, the apache/mod_jk side was holding
> onto the connection and not allowing the next request to use it. The
> timeout kills off the connections that are being held onto by apache and
> so no lockups. I think this is only a temporary kludge/fix, but for the
> other people who were having the same problem, try this for now. Thanks
> for everyone's help.
>
> -Simon
>
> ps.
>
> I also upgraded from 4.1.12 to 4.1.17 in my debugging process though
> that didn't solve the problem in and of itself.
>
> Milt Epstein wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Simon Chatfield wrote:
> >

> >>The number of open connections....
> >>
> >># netstat -a |grep 8009 |wc -l
> >>      175
> >>#
> >>
> >>actually, I think that shows both sides of the connection between apache
> >>and tomcat + the listener, so that's 87 connections...
> >
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > I think how many of these can exist is controlled by the maxProcessors
> > attribute setting in the Ajp13Connector Connector tag in server.xml.
> > Also, you can see messsages about their starting up in
> > cataling_log.YYYY-MM-DD.txt (where YYYY-MM-DD is the date).  And it
> > may be correct that they are not closed/stopped once they're started.
> >
> > Milt Epstein
> > Research Programmer
> > Integration and Software Engineering (ISE)
> > Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services (CITES)
> > University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
> > mepstein@uiuc.edu
> >

> > --
>

> --
> Simon Chatfield