tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: Apache Web Server vs. Tomcat
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:16:42 GMT
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Michael Finney wrote:

> Thank you.   I figured it comes up all the time and
> trying to find something in the jGuru FAQ was not
> yielding anything.
>
> PHP may be desired by someone on the team.  However,
> increasing the complexity of the architecture topology
> just to use PHP does not seem like a great idea.
>
> "Apache doesn't run as root on port 80 ..." sounds
> like the only applicable reason.  I assume Tomcat
> handles requests as root then.  That would get into
> security issues.

I'd say that normally people who are running Tomcat standalone just
run it on a non-privileged port, like 8080, the default "out of the
box" port.  That may be an issue, since then that port, since it's not
the default http port, will have to be included in all the url's.
You'll then have to weigh the pros and cons of the various different
alternatives (including leaving it like that) for your particular
situation, and decide what you want to do.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu