tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: Apache-Tomcat mod_jk
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:16:42 GMT
On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Denise Mangano wrote:

> Nope, its not commented out in server.xml.  I'm not too sure what I
> am looking for but from what I can tell there is nothing abnormal in
> the logs.
>
> Question though - which if this is the case, you may get angry with
> me for bothering you with my dumb questions.... For Service Name it
> says "Tomcat-Standalone".... Why would it say standalone if I am
> using it only as a servlet/JSP container?

All this stuff (what appears in the logs, what
services/connectors/etc. are running, etc.) all depends on what you
have in your server.xml.  For example, in there you can define one or
more Service's, each of which can have one or more Connector's.  When
Tomcat starts up, you'll get a line in that log for each Service; so
perhaps you only have one, and its name happens to be
"Tomcat-Standalone" (the name is defined in the Service tag).  That is
one of the Service's that comes in Tomcat's server.xml "out of the
box" (I think it has two, perhaps you've commented one out).

Now, that name may be misleading, because it's arbitrary, and even
with one Service you can have multiplce Connector's.  So it may not
just be Tomcat-Standalone that you are running.  Connector's are
basically access points into Tomcat, and they can either be
standalone, like the HttpConnector, or through a web server, like
Ajp13Connector.  The new CoyoteConnector is kind of special, I
believe, as it can handle multiple protocols (like both HTTP and
AJP).  So you should really look at what Connector's you have set up
to see what should be going on.  That's why someone suggested you post
your whole server.xml, it will allow people here to get a totally
clear idea of what you have setup.

BTW, out of the box, Tomcat Standalone runs on port 8080.  So whether
or not you get something on that port depends on whether you have an
appropriate Connector set up.  And if you plan to always use Tomcat
behind Apache, you might want to disable/comment out that Connector
(although sometimes it's good to have for testing purposes).

[ ... ]

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu