tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: Connecting Tomcat 4.1.12 with Apache 1.3
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:19:04 GMT
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Denise Mangano wrote:

> Just an after thought here... Even though I can access the JSP from
> my web site in Apache, I just tried to access it through the
> https:// protocol.  It just hung and did not load. Do I have to
> configure something in Tomcat to allow for SSL connection to the
> JSP's?  I am looking at Jakarta's site and it is saying that when
> using Tomcat as a standalone server, SSL has to be configured.  But
> when running Tomcat primarily as a Servlet/JSP container behind
> another web server, such as Apache the SSL is configured on the web
> server, which it is (I already have a certificate).  What am I
> missing?  The only time I will need to access Tomcat from my web
> site is over a secure connection.

That's basically correct.  The thing is, you have to place the
appropriate Tomcat connector-related directives in the appropriate
section(s) of your Apache httpd.conf file to make sure Apache knows
what to pass to Tomcat.  For example, if you have SSL set up, and you
have a section of your httpd.conf that deals with your https/SSL
instance (perhaps as a virtual host), you have to put the appropriate
connector-related directives in that section.  If you put them in the
root (i.e. http) section, they'll only apply to the root instance.

I don't know exactly what your setup is, like what connector, so I
can't be more specific.  If you're using mod_jk, for example, you'd
have to place appropriate JkMount directives in the https/SSL instance
section of your httpd.conf.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu