tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: Connecting Tomcat 4.1.12 with Apache 1.3
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:12:47 GMT
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Denise Mangano wrote:

> Thank you so much for getting back to me about that.  I have just
> been trying to read up on the mod_jk, and was hoping there was
> another option.
>
> I do have one more question though related to running JSP with
> Tomcat.  If I make my entire form JSP, and run from within Tomcat,
> and after it communicates with the payment server, an updated JSP
> page will be displayed (depending on the data received from the
> bank).  Would I still have to make the connection between Apache and
> Tomcat?  It would basically be a link from my website to the form,
> which will be JSP.  I put up a dummy page and had a link to one of
> the example JSP that came with Tomcat.  The link worked Ok, and the
> servlet ran fine.

Yes, to use JSP's, you need to set up Tomcat the same way you would if
you are using servlets (basically).  Servlets and JSP's are different
entities, covered by different specs.  But they are related, and
typically a servlet container (such as Tomcat) will implement both of
them.  In fact, the way Tomcat (and most servlet containers, AFAIK)
process JSP's, they *are* servlets -- that is, one of the first things
that is done to them is that they are translated to a servlet.

Also, in general, it is not recommended to put a lot of code in a JSP,
and often systems are designed that use both servlets and JSP's.

The only time you wouldn't need to connect Apache and Tomcat is if you
are using Tomcat standalone, and that's an independent factor from
whether you're using servlets or JSP's.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu