tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Session cookie not recognized in www. subdomain alias
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 16:55:13 GMT
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Garrett Smith wrote:

> Hello Tomcat Users,
>
> I am having a problem with access to the www. alias of my site
> having a different session cookie.
>
> What is the proper way to make tomcat use ".dhtmlkitchen.com" for my
> session cookie?
>
> To see what I mean, go to http://dhtmlkitchen.com/ and then to
> http://www.dhtmlkitchen.com/ . You can see the obvious change by the
> colors (which are session-based).
>
> Proof:Javascript:alert(document.cookie)
>
> You'll see a different JSESSIONID cookie for www. alias "subdomain."
>
> I ask again: What is the proper way to make tomcat use
> ".dhtmlkitchen.com" for my session cookie?
[ ... ]

Not an absolute definitive answer, but I strongly suspect you can't
(not without modifying Tomcat sources, that is, which is probably not
something you want to be doing).

I'd think a better solution anyway would be to modify your web server
frontend so requests using "dhtmlkitchen.com" are internally changed
to using "www.dhtmlkitchen.com".  Don't know what web server you're
using, but I'd think there is a way to do that with most of them.
(I'm sure you could do it with Apache's mod_rewrite, for example, and
there might even be a simpler way.)

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu