tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vy Ho <st946...@drexel.edu>
Subject JSP page not found, invoker mess
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 18:02:20 GMT

After having my problem, and reading the discussion about invoker,
security, etc, I decide to voice up.

My servlets work fine in both tomcat 4.03 and 4.1.12.  However, none of my
jsp pages work (not found).  I guess, it has something to do with the
servlet.  The problem is that if I use the invoker, then it's secuity
whole.  If not, then I will have to change the web.xml to add a new entry
for each of my new jsp pages, or even change the file name.  That is very
inconvenient, and very BAD considering I have to restart the tomcat server
for this to take effect (Please correct me if I am wrong).

I think Tomcat must be changed to be usable. Just to run JSP, servlets, I
think you just drop  it in and it should work.  That's not hard to do and
it's much easier than the rocket science people has put into tomcat.  Why
these developers leave the last mile of development to the users and let
them scramble?  Yes, people could argue about features/ease of use
argument, but I am sick and tired of all intelligent argument, and stick
with my common sense that I am much more productive to turn on the server
and it works (with a few muse click on a GUI interface).  Then there's
people who argue about free and all that.  Hey, if you think too much
about free stuff you give out, then don't give out, or don't charge for
it.  After all, you can just post the http rfc, and let people build the
server.  The reason you do all that is that users don't have to do much to
get things to work, so it's alot of value to add the last peice of puzzle
to the board.

Maybe the invoker stuff is just a temporary solution (to disable it), but
I think it got to be fixed, and users should not need to do anything.

About Apache and Tomcat things, I think it's much better to merge them
into one.  It's a big waste of time and headache for developers, users to
configuer/ develop 2 servers to serve the web.

I wonder when the developers start to see this, and find out one morning
that porting/merging the two things together wasn't that bad an idea and
wasn't that hard and wasn't that time consumming, and start to do so.