tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kristján Bjarni Guðmundsson <kris...@hugvit.is>
Subject Re: UTF-8 vs ISO-8859-1 and really screwed up webpages.
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:49:31 GMT
Yes, you are storing the page as ISO-8859-1 so you must serve the page as
ISO-8859-1
changing the meta tag to UTF-8 doesn't magically convert the page to
UTF-8.

If you want to serve the page as UTF-8 you must also save the page as
UTF-8.
The meta tag is just a hint to the browser which charset the page is
using.

Check you html editor to see if you can change the encoding to UTF-8 when
saving.

"Adam Greene" <agreene@romulin.com> wrote on 18.12.2002 20:32:37:

> I have two webpages and both contain the letter é (litterally written
into
> the page), but one page displays it as é and the other page displays it
as
> é and I cannot figure out why.  I have tried setting (via META Tags)
the