tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sexton, George" <gsex...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Request/Connection Timeout
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:54:53 GMT
As others have said, you need to re-design your app. Personally, I would
initiate the computation in a background thread and mail the results to the
user as a PDF document. Further, I would use  a queue design so that only
one computation is running at a time. What will your app do if the user hits
back, and keeps re-submitting? What will your app do if Monday morning, 40
managers come in and request a big report?

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar Software
http://www.mhsoftware.com/connectdaily.htm
Voice: 303 438 9585

-----Original Message-----
From: GUNTURU, SRINIVAS [AG-Contractor/1000]
[mailto:srinivas.gunturu@monsanto.com]
Sent: 11 December, 2002 8:28 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: Request/Connection Timeout

Hi,

We are using Tomcat 4.0.4 on Apache.  Right now when we have a request that
takes longer than 300 seconds(5 minutes), connections are timing out and we
are getting various errors.  How do we go about increasing this timeout so
that the request does not timeout.  Unfortunately, The analysis that runs on
the server is very computational intensive and we have done a lot of tuning
and most of the times it does run under 5 minutes however depending on
server load and database load we do run over 5 minutes frequently and error
out.  Ideally, we would like to not have this restriction.  I have searched
in the archives and Tomcat documentation and have not found anything.

Thanks for your help.

Srinivas