tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sexton, George" <gsex...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject RE: DNS NAMES
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:57:41 GMT
Let me really cut right down to the chase here:

Valid characters in a domain name are:

a-z
0-9 (digits)
- (Hyphen)
. (Period)

Look at the RFC, and read the BNF definition for an identifier.

-----Original Message-----
From: micael [mailto:caraunltd@harbornet.com]
Sent: 04 December, 2002 4:22 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: DNS NAMES

But don't be misled.  Noel is giving you direct answer to the way you put
the question, and I suspect, as others before me have, that you don't mean
the question the way you are expressing it.  You would be better served
saying why you want to do this, because you are really going to a lot of
this and that over something that seems to be really unimportant.  What you
want to do probably can be done, if you state what the real objective
is.  Of course, making "whatever" into a DNS name is not your goal, we can
surmise.

Micael

At 06:03 PM 12/4/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > I want to create a DNS name itself like that....is it possible.....
>
>As I said, the DNS name is www.test.com.  The /final is not part of the
DNS.
>If you want the short answer, it is: NO, by definition.  If you want to
know
>WHY: DNS is DOMAIN Naming System.  The /final is a local resource, not the
>domain.
>
>         --- Noel
>

>--
>For additional commands, e-mail: