tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: How to control the cache setting in Tomcat?
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 22:16:34 GMT
Hi,

>For the individual html page, we can turn on/off cache via META or
header.

Yup.  Meta counts as a header as well.

>But how can we do for the whole web application.

You have to do it for each page.

>In the Apache web server, we can use module mod_expires and mod_headers
>do it.

This just does it for each page, but automatically so that you don't
have to manually include the header for each page.

>How about TOMCAT ( I mean standalone tomcat )??

There's no equivalent that I know of, but that's not surprising as
tomcat is not designed to be a full-featured standalone HTTP server.
That's what Apache (httpd) is for.

But you may be able to do something similar.  How about a Filter mapped
to everything (URL pattern /*) that adds the expiration and no-cache
headers to the response?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics