tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <mike.robe...@elata.com>
Subject RE: Memory usage?
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:00:28 GMT

contractual commitment, or is otherwise legally binding on elata unless
confirmed by an authorised representative independently of this e-mail.
Registered in England, number 1961405

-----Original Message-----
From: Schnitzer, Jeff [mailto:JSchnitzer@maxis.com]
Sent: 04 December 2002 12:59
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Memory usage?

This is probably a more general java question:

My long-running Tomcat processes become huge.  I have the max heap set
to -Xmx512m, yet after a day or so the virtual size of java reaches
upwards of 2GB, and the resident size sometimes exceeds 1GB.  Shouldn't
I get OutOfMemoryErrors sooner?  If it's not heap, what is in all that
extra space?

I'm pretty certain that I just need to reduce my session timeout (it's
way too long, and we get a _lot_ of traffic).  But the JVM behavior
surprises me.  This is with the Sun JDK 1.4.1_01 on Linux.

Thanks,
Jeff Schnitzer
jschnitzer@maxis.com
The Sims Online