tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Schnitzer, Jeff" <JSchnit...@maxis.com>
Subject Memory usage?
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 05:58:52 GMT
This is probably a more general java question:

My long-running Tomcat processes become huge.  I have the max heap set
to -Xmx512m, yet after a day or so the virtual size of java reaches
upwards of 2GB, and the resident size sometimes exceeds 1GB.  Shouldn't
I get OutOfMemoryErrors sooner?  If it's not heap, what is in all that
extra space?

I'm pretty certain that I just need to reduce my session timeout (it's
way too long, and we get a _lot_ of traffic).  But the JVM behavior
surprises me.  This is with the Sun JDK 1.4.1_01 on Linux.

Thanks,
Jeff Schnitzer
jschnitzer@maxis.com
The Sims Online