tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Björnerstedt <jo...@bjornerstedt.org>
Subject manager/reload = restart?
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:34:19 GMT
Hello,

While developing a Struts application I have to restart it frequently. Using
the Tomcat 4.1 manager makes this quicker. What is not clear to me after
reading through the documentation is the difference between stop/start and
reload. The latter does not reload my struts-config.xml, while the former
combination does. According to tomcat-docs/manager-howto.html reload is used

"Signal an existing application to shut itself down and reload. This can be
useful when [...] you've made other changes (such as to conf/web.xml) that
are not automatically recognized by Tomcat."

According to

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg73895.html

"reload will be faster(one command vs two), but start/stop will allow
web.xml to be read again."

What is the difference between reload and stop/start?

Jonas