tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Colic, Alex" <>
Subject DBCP difficulties and Mysql!!
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:45:38 GMT

I have transferred a web app to use mysql and the built in dbcp pooling
available in Tomcat 4.12. I am getting a lot of dbcp errors. If I check my
log file the two errors are:

org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: java.sql.SQLException: Communication
failure during handshake. Is there a server running on

java.sql.SQLException: DBCP could not obtain an idle db
connection, pool exhausted

I have the parameters of my pool connection below. In my finally block of
the try statement where I access the connection via JNDI I close all the
recordsets, statements and connection. I am getting these errors with a load
of about 5 users. Even though the error says that it can't find the mysql
server I can connect to it manually.

Any help in figuring out what is going on is appreciated.

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related
rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information
it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail
in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courriel est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations
qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements
qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite.
Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de
courriel ou par un autre moyen.