tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject RE: Retrieve User - Realm
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:46:27 GMT
Hi,
One minor flaw in your idea, it's not possible to retrive the user from the session, unless
you put it there when the user is authenticated.
Meaning, the request.getRemoteUser() will only return you a username (login) in the actual
request the authentication is made, still, depending on the browser / HTTP server configuration
you are using it may happen more often, some configurations may even return value for every
request.

In short,  if you want to have access to the login of the user browsing your website in the
session you have to put it there, in the first authenticated request.

Hope it helps
-reynir