tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject RE: need request lifecycle diagram
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 18:58:37 GMT
Hi aaron,

To answer your questions directly, I don't know if a diagram as you want exists, but yes it's
a good idea.
In my understanding the row is like this :

1. HTTP service receives the request.
2. If an authentication valve is set to handle the authentication it will happen next, as
it is a part of the HTTP.
3. Valves are before filters. Logging, etc before filters.
4. Filters can run before servlets/jsps.
5. Servlets and JSPs (sometimes using jsp-tags) create the response.
6. Filters can run after servlets/jsps.
7. The response is sent back to the http client that made the request.

Listeners, are a different thing. These are made so that you have an event when something
happenes in the servlet context or sessions.
You can implement a listener if you want to for example do something when a servlet context
is created, or an attribute is inserted into the servlet context (ServletContextListener).
The other listeners are made for similar things.

The authentication can differ between HTTP servers/clients, for example the IIS Windows Intergrated
Authentication is not request based authentication but a connection based, using some magick
to make that happen.

Hope this helps,
-reynir