tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: [OFF-TOPIC] RE: Naïve question about root
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:32:57 GMT

Good choices!  I have both on my Amazon wish list.  LOL

I would definitely consider these as well.  I've never read a bad O'Reilly
book:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux4/

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/esa3/

The ESA book is good for all around UNIX/Linux sys-admin...I think you will
find as you get into systems administration (that is, if you decide you like
it and pursue it) that you will get opportunities to work with various
operating systems, like Solaris and FreeBSD.  Typically they are all
similar, but in some instances the differences are enough that you can get
tripped up.  ESA will help you minimize that.

The most important thing is to have fun!  I found the best thing for me was
to take an old PC (P233 with 128MB RAM and a 10GB drive) that I got for free
and put RH on it, then just bang away and experiment.  That way I wasn't
afraid if I broke it, which happened frequently enough to make me extra
cautious on production systems, an added benefit, I guess.  I got REALLY
GOOD at installing from scratch!  LOL

John