tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wagoner, Mark" <MWago...@wild-flavors.com>
Subject RE: reducing tomcat & jasper memory footprint
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:48:25 GMT
I don't have an answer to your exact question, but given the numbers you
cite I would try to come up with an alternative design.

Perhaps you can create one JSP page that uses dynamic includes to
incorporate the text of the article?

Just a thought.

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Löffelhardt [mailto:julian@austria.fm]
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 2:37 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: reducing tomcat & jasper memory footprint

Hi,

I'm using Apache 1.3.26 and 3 tomcat 4.0.4 instances with AJP13 &
loadbalancing .
Our application is a CMS where all the published articles are generated
offline as JSP-Files, one jsp per article.

We had hige problems with the memory footprint. Due to the fact that every
jsp is generated as a class and there are about 200 new artices per day the
permanent segment of the JVM heap gets filled with all the classes, and I
get an OutOfMemoryError.
My workaround for now is setting -XX:PermSize and --XX:MapPermSize to higher
values, but this just delays application hang-up.

With 64 megs of permSize our Server had an approx. uptime of 1 day now it's
about 3-4 days.

Is there any way to unload jsp-Files (unload the class) ?

llap,
julian