tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnson, Garrett" <Johns...@cbsnews.com>
Subject Difficult sections in server.xml and web.xml...
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:00:59 GMT
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'm afraid I can't seem to wrap my head around a few things in the web.xml
and server.xml files in configuring Tomcat:

In server.xml:

* What does the <Host> node mean?  If I set <Host name="localhost"> does
that make a difference than if I set it for <Host name="foobar">?  Does the
name attribute have real significance or is it just an ID?

In web.xml, (sitting in a context directory,):

* For the <servlet> node:
	* Is the servlet-name attribute merely an ID?
	* What is the display-name attribute for?

* For the <servlet-mapping> node:
	* Is the servlet-name attribute ALSO merely an ID?
	* What is the syntax for the url-pattern attribute?  Can I use
wildcards?  Reg. Expressions?

* Finally, is there any relationship between the <Context> node in the
server.xml file and the web.xml?  Or is the only dependency that the web.xml
file needs to be in docbase/WEB-INF, where docbase is the value of the
docbase attribute in the <Context> nodes?

Thanks in advance for any assistance y'all can provide.