tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnson, Garrett" <Johns...@cbsnews.com>
Subject RE: MySQL JAR File Location
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 18:33:14 GMT
David,

I think perhaps my post was a bit misleading: I'm actually less worried
about security than I am about mixing code and classes, and just good
practices.  Several applications might be using different databases.  But
your answer was still on point:

%CATALINA_HOME%\lib

(You can see from my nomenclature that I'm running a Windows Box!)

Is what I was looking for. It'll give me a place to put the jar where only
tomcat can see it.  The only other question:  Where can I put a JDBC driver
jar so that only ONE application can see it?

Thx

-----Original Message-----
From: David Brown [mailto:dwbrown@webitplanet.com]
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 12:21 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: Re: MySQL JAR File Location

Johnson, Garrett writes:

> Ladies and Gentlemen:
>
> Where should I drop a copy of the JDBC Driver .jar file that I need to
> connect to MySQL from Tomcat?  I understand there are a variety of
> classloaders, invoked on a number of different directories.  Obviously, I
> could just dump it into %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext, but what if I wish to
> restrict access to the Database?
>
> So I suppose this is 2 questions:
>
> 1.  If I want all of my web applications to have access to the .jar file,
> where's it go?
>
> 2.  If I want only one of my web application to have access, where's it
go?

> --
> For additional commands, e-mail:

Hello Garrett, the tc docs says the $CATALINA_HOME/lib is global to tc
webapps (after tc restart). this works me running oracle db 9.2 the oracle
jar that contains the JDBC drivers is in the directory i mentioned and db
access is available from all the webapps. i control user access from oracle
and not from tc because oracle has more control over user access. i don't
know what mySQL offers in terms of user access controls. hope this helps,
david.