tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: JNDI Datasource question
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 10:09:27 GMT

Hi Ron,

That is referring to a context configuration file.  You *always* need to
set up your DataSources through the proprietary server configuration.  The
stuff in the web.xml only defines the interface.  For instance, if you set
up DBCP specific stuff in the web.xml file, your app would be dependent on
running under Tomcat and be incompatible with every other app server.  JNDI
is meant to provide a standard interface while allowing the vendor to
provide a proprietary implementation.  That way, you get to code to a
standard and you get to pick the vendor who provides the best
implementation (by your own definition).  That provides for both standards
*and* market competition.  Neat, eh?

See the following for context configuration files:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html#Automatic%20Application%20Deployment

Also, look at admin.xml and manager.xml in CATALINA_HOME/webapps for reference.

I addition, Craig R. McClanahan pointed out the following when deploying
via the manager app:

<quote>
For the deploy command, simply include your context confgiuration file in
the WAR at "META-INF/context.xml".

In Tomcat 4.1, you can dynamically deploy a "context configuration file"
instead of, or along with your webapp.  Such a file can contain the
<Context> element, and all nested subelements, from what you would
normally put in server.xml, so you can indeed dynamically deploy an app
with a custom realm.
</quote>

Jake