tomcat-users mailing list archives

From micael <caraun...@harbornet.com>
Subject Re: JSP page not found, invoker mess
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 20:50:54 GMT
This thinking is wrong, Ho.  You don't understand the situation.  The
invoker servlet only involves the servlets and not the JSP pages, even
though they become servlets.  The truth is that this is all a freebee and
we owe the people that did this work a lot of thanks.  If you don't like
it, don't use it.  However, they have done a marvelous job.  I can tell you
this, my copy of Tomcat starts up with little fuss and little muss.  I do
have to know something.  Your difficulty at this point is not what they did
not do, but what you do not know.

That is not a critique of you but an attempt to get you to see things a bit
more fairly.  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  Know what that
means?  You can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it float on its
back.  Know what that means?

Micael

At 01:02 PM 12/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>After having my problem, and reading the discussion about invoker,
>security, etc, I decide to voice up.
>
>My servlets work fine in both tomcat 4.03 and 4.1.12.  However, none of my
>jsp pages work (not found).  I guess, it has something to do with the
>servlet.  The problem is that if I use the invoker, then it's secuity
>whole.  If not, then I will have to change the web.xml to add a new entry
>for each of my new jsp pages, or even change the file name.  That is very
>inconvenient, and very BAD considering I have to restart the tomcat server
>for this to take effect (Please correct me if I am wrong).
>
>I think Tomcat must be changed to be usable. Just to run JSP, servlets, I
>think you just drop  it in and it should work.  That's not hard to do and
>it's much easier than the rocket science people has put into tomcat.  Why
>these developers leave the last mile of development to the users and let
>them scramble?  Yes, people could argue about features/ease of use
>argument, but I am sick and tired of all intelligent argument, and stick
>with my common sense that I am much more productive to turn on the server
>and it works (with a few muse click on a GUI interface).  Then there's
>people who argue about free and all that.  Hey, if you think too much
>about free stuff you give out, then don't give out, or don't charge for
>it.  After all, you can just post the http rfc, and let people build the
>server.  The reason you do all that is that users don't have to do much to
>get things to work, so it's alot of value to add the last peice of puzzle
>to the board.
>
>Maybe the invoker stuff is just a temporary solution (to disable it), but
>I think it got to be fixed, and users should not need to do anything.
>
>About Apache and Tomcat things, I think it's much better to merge them
>into one.  It's a big waste of time and headache for developers, users to
>configuer/ develop 2 servers to serve the web.
>
>I wonder when the developers start to see this, and find out one morning
>that porting/merging the two things together wasn't that bad an idea and
>wasn't that hard and wasn't that time consumming, and start to do so.
>

>--

Micael

have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.  Thank you