tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John McNeill <jmcne...@athensgroup.com>
Subject RE: FW: Incomplete shutdown of the java processes in Linux
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 19:48:23 GMT
Thank you, Jeff.  I added that line to our log writer Thread and it did
the job.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Tulley [mailto:JTULLEY@novell.com]
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 6:06 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: FW: Incomplete shutdown of the java processes in Linux

So, I've seen this with some of our(Novell's) web applications.  What
happened with us is that a web application spawned off some sort of
utility thread, or daemon thread, without calling
(thread).setDaemon(true);

>From the javadoc for java.lang.Thread.setDaemon:
"Marks this thread as either a daemon thread or a user thread. The Java
Virtual Machine exits when the only threads running are all daemon
threads"

With this one line fix everywhere such a thread existed, Tomcat shut
down completely with the stop command.

Jeff Tulley  (jtulley@novell.com)
(801)861-5322
http://www.novell.com

>>> john_mcneill@AthensGroup.com 12/23/02 3:49:36 PM >>>
On the Linux box we use for testing, we have a Tomcat 4.1.12 instance
that
controls two custom webapps and a manager app.  The Tomcat process
starts up
fine when I use startup.sh, generating some 35 "java ... start"
processes in
my ps list.  However, when I attempt to stop the Tomcat process with
shutdown.sh, about 10 of the java processes do not die, particularly
the
parent process.  I must find the parent process and kill it
specifically to
completely stop the Tomcat.

The 10 processes are identified as running when I look for them with ps
-r.
I can run startup.sh again while they remain on the ps list and a new
Tomcat
instance is started.  Unhappily, if I do this too often, I use up all
the
processes on the box.

We have a second Tomcat 4.1.12 instance on the same Linux box that
responds
to shutdown.sh perfectly.

Has anybody an idea of why this is happening and how I can fix it
before we
move the application into production?

Thanks.

Athens Group