tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Albert Wang <Albert.W...@bms.com>
Subject using regexp in JSPs on Tomcat
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2002 18:09:43 GMT
Hi all,

I have a Java class which uses the Jakarta regexp package for some
string parsing.  It works perfectly fine on its own.  I'm developing a
set of JSPs, one of which instantiates this class and calls some
methods.  However, Tomcat is throwing me the following exception:

javax.servlet.ServletException: org/apache/regexp/RESyntaxException
    at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:471)
    at org.apache.jsp.viewSample$jsp._jspService(viewSample$jsp.java:367)
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:107)
    at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:201)
    at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:381)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:473)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
    at
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:190)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
    at
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2347)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
    at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
    at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
    at
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
    at
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java:1027)
    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1125)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

As you can see, it's a regexp exception, but it's not my class that's
throwing it, it's Jasper.  When I do not instantiate this class of mine,
the JSP displays perfectly.  Is there some documented incompatibility
with using regexp within JSPs on Tomcat?  The only workaround I can
think of is to use some other regular expression package that isn't used
inherently within Tomcat.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,
-Al