tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeanfrancois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The future of Tomcat and java.nio
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:48:47 GMT

Joe Tomcat wrote:

>On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 09:25, Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:
>

>>The Servlet 2.4 (Tomcat 5) spec clearly say that we have to support JDK
>>1.3...That's one of the reason why nio is not used. Once 1.4 will be
>>required, then we will evaluate the possibility of using nio....Get
>>ready to submit patches at that time :-)
>>

>I'll be working on those patches.... but the spec talks about the
>servlet container, not the connector, right?  So if Tomcat has a
>container which relies on NIO it would be ok, right?

No, you cannot. The Specs (SRV.P.5) require supports HTTP 1.1
(implemented as a connector). The container needs to run on 1.3/1.4 (not
only parts of it)

We are currently discussing about modularity on tomcat-dev. I'm sure
people (including me) will be interested to see how a connector written
using nio perform against the actual connector implementation (they are
quite optimized). We might be surprised and found that the actual
connector is still faster than using nio ;-)

>And the container
>is where NIO would make the most difference.  Servlets still need to run
>in plain old threads, but static content (which is where Tomcat is
>weakest) are what would benefit from NIO.  In fact, I think that a pure
>Java web server using NIO properly (ie, select loop, not threads) may be
>able to outperform Apache (which uses threads, not a select loop).
>Maybe I will try to write a little select loop http, and then use it as
>a container....

I'm interested to see that live :-) If you have time to do it, I'm sure
a lot of people will be interested by the result.

-- Jeanfrancois