tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Eaves <...@eaves.org>
Subject Re: Need help using manager of tomcat
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:39:38 GMT
Boris Folgmann wrote:
> Jon Eaves wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Provided my memory serves me correctly, you can't use the manager
>>application to deploy.
>

> If you're right, the documentation should be changed.

Well, maybe.  Remember the manager application is talking about
the /manager web application and not only the /manager/html
functionality. (And I was quite sloppy with my response above,
as I should have said "Manager Application HTML Interface")
Sorry for adding to the confusion.

It probably needs further highlighting on the actual web
application to assist people in not confusing themselves. ;-)

> But what about the text input fields on /manager/html/list?
> Is it simply unfinished? The form action missing?

The deploy task takes a war file and places that in a "special
place" using the HTTP PUT. It's simply not possible from
a web page.

This is all described quite well in the documentation:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html

Have a look in the section "Deploy a New Application" and
read the big "NOTE:" section.

Cheers,
	-- jon

--