tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Why does encodeURL not include Session ID when switching between HTTP and HTTPS
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 23:17:11 GMT
I think the question to ask is (which I can't answer):
Will encodeURL() encode URLS if the request protocol [or for that
matter, server] is different?

You are switching from http to https. Since this is a different
namespace, all bets may be off whether encodeURL will work like the way
you wish.

The javadocs [from the spec] say:
"Encodes the specified URL by including the session ID in it, or, if
encoding is not needed, returns the URL unchanged. The implementation of
this method includes the logic to determine whether the session ID needs
to be encoded in the URL. For example, if the browser supports cookies,
or session tracking is turned off, URL encoding is unnecessary."

So one may say - since the namespace is changing from http to https or
vice versa - the implementation of encodeURL does not need to encode the
URL.

-Tim