tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <>
Subject RE: Tomcat + commons-logging + log4j
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:47:08 GMT
Jacob wrote:
> Set up your <Context ...> entry to look something like this:
> <Context path="/myapp" docBase="myapp" debug="5">
>     <Logger
>         className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>         prefix="localhost_myapp_servlet_log."
>         suffix=".txt"
>             timestamp="true" />
> </Context>

Wow, nothing like it being right there in front of my face.  The context tag
for the examples does have a Logger tag-- I must have been searching for
'Logging' instead.

Dan wrote:
> Use Tomcat log interface will make your code depending
> on Tomcat appserver.  What if  you want run your app
> on other servers in the future?

I take it logging isn't in the servlet spec?  From another message, I got
the impression that the container would want to send some messages itself.
If there is no Logger configured for the webapp, does it just send them to
the console?

Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.