tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <ian.pilboro...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Custom Error 500 Page Is Not Displayed
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:04:47 GMT
Hi,

I have an installation of Tomcat 4.0.6 running on Win 2k Advanced Server, JDK 1.3.1_01 using
IIS 5.0 as web server. I have set-up custom error pages in web.xml for both 404 and 500 to
display helpful messages relevant to the application I've built. Any 404s are nicely displayed
using the 404 error page defined in web.xml, but any 500s are not and I get the Tomcat default
Internal Server error displayed, which isn't nice for my users.

I can't understand why the 404 works and 500 doesn't. Should the type of error that is coming
back, e.g. an undefined variable or NullPointerException affect the error page I've chosen
being displayed? If it's a NullPointerException that's a runtime error, but an undefined variable
is a compile time error does this affect the redirection to the error page I've added?

I hope I'm not missing something basic because all examples, FAQs and other sites I've visited
show that I'm doing the right thing and the fact that the 404 works further proves that. Any
help is greatly appreciated.

Ian