tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steven J. Owens" <puffm...@darksleep.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.1? Apache? Cocoon?
Date Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:48:08 GMT
On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 12:30:49PM -0600, J. Norment wrote:
> At the risk of this being off-topic, I'll keep this short:
>
> I've seen articles mentioning Tomcat running with Apache (and the
> occasional mention of cocoon)..
>
> What would be the purpose of running Tomcat with Apache (and cocoon)?

     First, bear in mind that you have Apache the web server and
Apache the project (which is responsible for maintaining and
developing Apache the server).  The Apache project further has a
sub-project, Jakarta, for doing java stuff.  Tomcat is a specific
application in the Jakarta project, a java servlet engine.  It is not
uncommon to see people use the phrase "Apache Tomcat", when referring
to Tomcat, and not at all meaning to refer to the Apache web server.

     In the cases where they are in fact referring to both the Apache
web server and the Tomcat servlet engine...

     In a nutshell, Apache gives very high performance for serving
static content.  Tomcat is a java servlet engine, an application that
runs a framework for developing complex web-based applications.  It's
fairly common to run Apache paired with Tomcat; the Apache server
handles most requests and farms out requests for dynamic content to
the Tomcat server.

     Cocoon is a framework (also from the Jakarta Project) for
producing dynamic content via XML and XSLT.  I haven't worked with
Cocoon, but from my understanding the basic gist is keeping your data
in XML (or in some format that can quickly and easily produce an XML
version) and then delivering it, massaging it and personalizing it via
XSLT.  This is aimed at sites where the emphasis is on content
delivery, i.e. Wired, or Salon, for example, might find Cocoon very
useful.  Other sites might find it somewhat useful, depending on how
well Cocoon matches their needs.

     Cocoon is written in java, so you need a java servlet engine (in
the open source world there's Tomcat, Jetty, Gnu Paperclips, in the
proprietary world there's Resin, IPlanet, JRun, etc) to run it in.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me at http://darksleep.com