tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Tomcat uptime and stability in production environments
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 03:23:27 GMT

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Mike W-M wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:24:27 -0000
> From: Mike W-M <>
> To: Tomcat Users List <>
> Subject: Tomcat uptime and stability in production environments
> I remember someone telling me once, "No wonder we're having problems - that
> NT box hasn't been rebooted for a week."
> I haven't seen any mention of it here, but wondered if anyone has any
> similar(ly pithy) advice to offer on matters of Tomcat / Java stability and
> uptime.
> Is one sensible to plan to restart a production Tomcat every night, or
> foolish if you plan to do it every month?
> Do JVMs eat more and more memory unless they're restarted?
> I'm planning to deploy on Linux, but it'd be interesting to see how opinion
> varies by platform.

Although I regularly reloaded my Tomcat-based app (mostly to add new
features), I had the luxury of managing one Linux-based server that stayed
up for over 400 days (i.e. well over a year) without a reboot -- and we
only had to then because the machine was being moved to a new power plug
at the ISP's co-lo site :-).

More seriously, the precise behavior is pretty dependent on exactly which
versions of JDK and Tomcat you're using, as well as any possible memory
leaks in your app, or the libraries it uses (JDBC drivers can be
notorious).  I'd probably start with a weekly cycle on a heavily used app,
but monitor things to see if more often or less often would be

> Ta.
> Mike.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>