tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The future of Tomcat and java.nio
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:08:18 GMT

On 11 Dec 2002, Joe Tomcat wrote:

> Date: 11 Dec 2002 12:39:11 -0800
> From: Joe Tomcat <tomcat@mobile.mp>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: The future of Tomcat and java.nio
>
> On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 09:25, Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:
> > The Servlet 2.4 (Tomcat 5) spec clearly say that we have to support JDK
> > 1.3...That's one of the reason why nio is not used. Once 1.4 will be
> > required, then we will evaluate the possibility of using nio....Get
> > ready to submit patches at that time :-)
>
> I'll be working on those patches.... but the spec talks about the
> servlet container, not the connector, right?  So if Tomcat has a
> container which relies on NIO it would be ok, right?  And the container
> is where NIO would make the most difference.  Servlets still need to run
> in plain old threads, but static content (which is where Tomcat is
> weakest) are what would benefit from NIO.  In fact, I think that a pure
> Java web server using NIO properly (ie, select loop, not threads) may be
> able to outperform Apache (which uses threads, not a select loop).
> Maybe I will try to write a little select loop http, and then use it as
> a container....
>

>From a spec perspective, making Tomcat 5 require JDK 1.4 is a non-issue --
any rev greater than or equal to 1.3 would be fine.

>From a market perspective (even though it's open source, that *is* a valid
issue), this would cause a somewhat significant reduction in the potential
market for Tomcat 5, because high quality JDK 1.4 implementations are not
available on all platforms where Tomcat users would like to run it.

>From a technical perspective, people whose judgement I respect don't think
that NIO will really help a servlet container much.  Of course, you can't
prove that assertion until you actually implement it and benchmark it ...

Craig