tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Specifying <Context> tag outside of server.xml
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:34:03 GMT

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:17:34 -0700
> From: Wendy Smoak <Wendy.Smoak@asu.edu>
> To: "Tomcat Users List (E-mail)" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Specifying <Context> tag outside of server.xml
>

> I seem to remember making files named app-context.xml and putting them in
> the 'conf' directory along with server.xml.  Probably on 3.3.1, it was that
> long ago.
>
> Now (on 4.1) from what I can tell from the admin webapp, it seems that I am
> to make an xml file matching the name of the context and put it directly in
> the webapps folder.
>
> Can someone point me to the documentation that gives the rules for this?  I
> don't want to edit server.xml if I can avoid it.

In 4.1, a "context configuration file" is pretty similar in spirit to the
app-context.xml file from 3.3.  You can put a <Context> element in it, as
well as all the nested elements that are legal inside a <Context>.  It's
purpose, as you've gathered, is to avoid the need to edit server.xml
directly.

> Is there a way to include this xml file (with the <Context> tag) in the .war
> file and have it deploy to where it belongs?  Or do you just include it and
> expect the person who's doing the deployment to move the file to the webapps
> directory?

There are three different ways to deploy apps that use a context
configuration file:

* Stick the XML file itself in the webapps directory.  This
  will auto-deploy an app with a context path based on the root
  part of the filename (the admin and manager webapps in a
  standard Tomcat 4.1.x install use this approach).

* You can use the "install" command of the manager webapp, and
  pass a path to a context configuration file instead of to a
  directory or a WAR.  As with other uses of "install", this works
  only if you're on a filesystem accessible to the Tomcat instance
  that is running (typically, you're on the same machine).

* You can use the "deploy" command of the manager webapp to deploy
  a WAR file, and include a "META-INF/context.xml" file inside the
  WAR for the non-default characteristics.  This capability can be
  disabled as well -- check the config docs for the <Host> element
  for more info.

> Thanks!
>
> --
> Wendy Smoak
> Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.
> Arizona State University PA Information Resources Management

Craig