tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: I don´t understand the objective of this open list !
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:33:55 GMT

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Turner, John wrote:

> You're forgetting that Tomcat is a reference implementation.

This is not actually true in the legal sense, or really any longer
relevant in the practical sense.

In the legal sense, Tomcat code is *used in* the reference implementation
for J2EE, which has been the official RI to date for the servlet and JSP
specs.  Tomcat by itself is not, and never has been, the "official" RI.
It is now possible, though (thanks to the JCP modifications championed by
Apache, and announced at JavaOne 2002), to certify that Tomcat officially
conforms to the specs -- but it is till not, on its own, the RI.

In a practical sense, way to many people have invested way too much time
in adding high qualify features and performance improvements to Tomcat to
think of it as "just" a reference implementation.  Tomcat generally gets
in the neighborhood of 80k downloads per month, just off of Apache's main
web site.  I suspect that more than a few of those downloads end up on
production servers for mission critical applications :-).

> Nobody is positioning it as a be-all, end-all commercial solution.

By the way, there is no such thing as a "be-all, end-all" solution to any
complex problem, commercial or otherwise :-).

Craig