tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mikael G÷ransson <mi...@debinary.net>
Subject Re: javabean problems
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 15:20:43 GMT
On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 09:23:56 -0500
"David Brown" <dwbrown@webitplanet.com> wrote:

> Mikael G├Âransson writes:
>
> > hey,
> >
> > it seems like i can't run my javabeans.
> > i'm using tomcat 4.1.12 binary distrubtion.
> >
> > i get the error "cannot resolve symbol".
> >
> > and i have no idea what it could be, it's just
> > a simple bean:
> >
> > public class JellyBean implements java.io.Serializable {
> > 	private String color;
> >
> > 	public JellyBean() {
> > 	}
> >
> > 	public String getColor() {
> > 		return color;
> > 	}
> >
> > 	public void setColor(String newColor) {
> > 		color = newColor;
> > 	}
> > }
> >

> > --
> >  _  _  . |   _   _  |   micke@debinary.net
> > | )( | | |< (_| (-` |   http://micke.debinary.net
> >

> > --

> Hello Mikael, what is ur overall environment/system?: running apache?, iis?
> r u running any jsp or servlet? do u have a webapp that gets expanded from a
> .war. if so, what? i have many "javabean" class files in directories that
> branch off at the same point as my servlets under WEB-INF after expansion of
> my .war and using the full package "import" i can access all constructors
> and methods. someone on this ml can help u but pls reply w/ what u r trying
> to do and what errors/exceptions u r logging. thanx, david.
>

> --

atm i'm running tomcat as standalone on linux/slackware 8.1 and i'm not using
a webapp that expands from a .war file.

my servlets and jsp code workes fine, it's just when i try to implement my
javabeans in jsp code i get the error (cannot resolve symbol).

this is the code in the jsp page:
<jsp:useBean id="jb" scope="session" class="JellyBean" />
<jsp:setProperty name="jb" property="color" param="newColor" />
<b>The color has been set to:</b> <jsp:getProperty name="jb" property="color"
/><p>

and the javabean code (again):
public class JellyBean implements java.io.Serializable {
	private String color;

	public JellyBean() {
	}

	public String getColor() {
		return color;
	}

	public void setColor(String newColor) {
		color = newColor;
	}
}

and the first error:

An error occurred at line: 7 in the jsp file: /setbeancolor.jsp

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

/usr/program/tomcat4/work/Standalone/localhost/_/setbeancolor_jsp.java:48: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : class JellyBean
location: class org.apache.jsp.setbeancolor_jsp
      JellyBean jb = null;
      ^

i appreciate any help

--