tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: manager/reload = restart?
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 23:17:22 GMT

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Jonas Björnerstedt wrote:

> Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:08:28 +0100
> From: Jonas Björnerstedt <jonas@bjornerstedt.org>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: manager/reload = restart?
>
> Thank's for the reply.
>
> > For the particular case of a Struts app, most of the time you're just
> > changing struts-config.xml, not web.xml, so reload is usually the quickest
> > way to update your app to test the things you just added or changed.
>
> That was my problem, reload doesn't reload struts-config.xml. For some
> reason my app is not updated on reload when struts-config.xml is changed,
> whereas stop/start works. (Tomcat 4.10 + Struts 1.1b2)

It should have ... reload causes the destroy() and init() methods of
ActionServlet to get run, and that's where the struts-config.xml
processing occurs.  Please review the Tomcat log files and confirm that
the messages documenting this are present (they are for me).  You might
want to try this with the released version of Tomcat (4.1.12) also,
instead of an intermediate build like 4.1.10.

> Jonas

Craig