tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: manager/reload = restart?
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:42:04 GMT

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Jonas Björnerstedt wrote:

> Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 22:34:19 +0100
> From: Jonas Björnerstedt <>
> Subject: manager/reload = restart?
> Hello,
> While developing a Struts application I have to restart it frequently. Using
> the Tomcat 4.1 manager makes this quicker. What is not clear to me after
> reading through the documentation is the difference between stop/start and
> reload. The latter does not reload my struts-config.xml, while the former
> combination does. According to tomcat-docs/manager-howto.html reload is used
> "Signal an existing application to shut itself down and reload. This can be
> useful when [...] you've made other changes (such as to conf/web.xml) that
> are not automatically recognized by Tomcat."
> According to
> "reload will be faster(one command vs two), but start/stop will allow
> web.xml to be read again."
> What is the difference between reload and stop/start?

The sentence you just quoted defines the difference.

Reload causes new classes to be loaded, but does *not* reparse the web.xml
file; therefore, any changes you made there will not be reflected in the
restarted app.

Stop/Start does everything that reload does *plus* reparsing the web.xml
file.  Therefore, it takes longer by an amount of time dependent upon the
complexity of things in your web.xml file.

For the particular case of a Struts app, most of the time you're just
changing struts-config.xml, not web.xml, so reload is usually the quickest
way to update your app to test the things you just added or changed.

> Jonas

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message