tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SEO and servlets
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 02:54:41 GMT

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, neal wrote:

> Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 22:06:53 -0800
> From: neal <nealcabage@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: SEO  and servlets
>
> I was reading on Google the other day that it supports "many of the common
> file types" including JSP ... but this led me to wonder if they index
> servlets without file extensions, or how about common frameworks such as
> Struts with the DO extensions.
>
> Does anyone know how these file types index with Google and other major
> engines?

Different search engines follow different policies -- you'd have to ask
them how their spiders are programmed.  Most of them, probably, omit at
least some of the following types of URLs:
* URLs protected by an authentication constraint
* URLs matching patterns listed in the deny list of your
  "robots.txt" file
* URLs that have query parameters in them
* URLs that have no-cache headers in the returned content

Personally, I think it's somewhere between misleading and silly to index
pages from a web *applications* (as opposed to web sites)  based on an MVC
framework (like Struts).  Why?  Because the URL that a search engine
spider would submit doesn't necessarily have *anything* to do with the
output that gets rendered.

Consider a very common case where you have a form submit that goes to a
URL ending in ".../saveCustomer.do" in a Struts app.  If you've made any
errors that get caught by the validation rules, the original input form is
redisplayed.  On the other hand, if you did everything correctly, the next
page in your app's user interaction is displayed (probably a menu or
something).  But the URL is the same!

Which kind of output should a search engine index?

Web applications != Web sites

> Thanks.
> Neal

Craig