tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Tomcat and SSL
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 01:43:23 GMT

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Jay Wright wrote:

> > Paths specified in <url-pattern> elements are *always* relative to the
> > context path.  If you really want every URL in your webapp to be
> > protected, use a URL pattern of "/*" instead of "/a/b/c/*".
>
> Thanks for clarifying, it's beginning to make sense now.
> As a side note: wouldn't doing a url pattern of "/*" match all webapps.

No!  It is matched against the part of the request URL *after* the context
path.  That is what "context relative" means.

 and
> not just this one?  I'll have to extend the relative uri to include some
> pattern matchable string.
>
> My other question is with <auth-constraint>.  It's my current understanding
> that I can't simply enforce SSL use with a CONFIDENTIAL
> <transport-gaurantee> in <user-data-constraint>.  That I actually need a
> realm defined, even though I want ALL visitors to be subjected to a SSL
> redirect if they try to access the webapp.   Is there anyway around this?

I just answered a question on this topic, and gave an example
<security-constraint> that required SSL only for context-relative paths
that start with "/foo" or "/bar".  As long as you do not have an
<auth-constraint> element, no login will be required -- only the automatic
redirect to SSL if the user accesses one of these URLs.

If you want the transfer to SSL *and* authentication, then you need both
an <auth-constraint> and a <transport-guarantee>.

> Thanks

Craig