tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: TC memory consumption increases when -Xincgc is used?
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 19:12:47 GMT

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Eric Gilbertson wrote:

> Has anyone encountered a problem with TC memory consumption growing
> faster with incremental GC enabled? With the -Xincgc switch, memory
> consumption not only grows faster on startup, but it never seems to go
> down significantly as it does with normal GC.

Which GC style is best for you is pretty much always an application
dependent decision, but the behavior you describe matches my intuitive
understanding of how incremental garbage collection works -- at any
point in time, there will be relatively more objects that haven't been
collected yet.  The corresponding benefit is you don't have to wait for
the garbage to be collected all at once (which can cause noticeable pauses
in response time on a JVM with lots of heap space).

I don't know the details of how you configure the JVM when starting Tomcat
as a service, but presume that the info must be in the docs somewhere.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message