tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Servlet unavailable" discussion
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 02:57:20 GMT

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Paul Yunusov wrote:

> Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:40:41 -0500
> From: Paul Yunusov <pyunusov@rogers.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: "Servlet unavailable" discussion
>
> On Sunday 01 December 2002 10:02 am, Paul Yunusov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I  was wondering what, in general, can cause a servlet to be "unavailable"
> > as reported by a StandardWrapperValve of Tomcat 4.1.12.
> > Thanks,
> > Paul
>
> The invoker servlet discussion was useful but it didn't really address the
> question above. (Still, here is a good thread on the invoker servlet:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg75346.html)
>
> There is one answer so far: not reloading a context after changing a class
> file in it. Any other observations on causes of "unavailable" servlets?

A couple of other ways to get this error (the Tomcat logs will generally
include a stack trace of the original exception):

* Throw an exception from the init() method of your servlet.
  (In particular, you can throw an UnavailableException that
  indicates the servlet is either permanently unavailable or
  unavailable only for a certain amount of time.

* Throw an UnavailableException from the service() (or doGet/doPut)
  method of your servlet.

* Specify a <servlet-class> that doesn't exist in your webapp.

> Paul

Craig