tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joe Tomcat <tom...@mobile.mp>
Subject RE: Tomcat - a search engine liability?!?!
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:50:22 GMT
On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 19:19, neal wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely have to look into them.
>
> For someone unfamiliar with these things those mod_rewrite or filters do you
> think it would be easier to just throw in the towel on using tomcat for http
> serving and move Apache in front of it, or is it easier to write one of
> these solutions?

Don't throw in that towel yet!  Here's one easy solution: Configure
Tomcat so that .htm pages are handled as jsps.  This is easy to do:
Modify the web.xml (for the server, not the application itself) so that
the jsp servlet handles .htm files.  Also .htm should be taken out of
the mime types of web.xml in that same file.  Obviously, be very careful
that all your static html files are .html if you do this.  One advantage
of this is that it means that your server isn't advertising what kind of
back-end technology it is using.  Less information is often better.