tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joe Tomcat <tom...@mobile.mp>
Subject RE: The future of Tomcat and java.nio
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:28:37 GMT
On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 17:05, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I'll be working on those patches.... but the spec talks about the
> > servlet container, not the connector, right?  So if Tomcat has a
> > container which relies on NIO it would be ok, right?  And the container
> > is where NIO would make the most difference.
>
> Don't you mean the CONNECTOR in those last two sentences?

Yes I meant connector, of course, not container.

> This was, in fact, the test case for java.nio performance testing last
> summer.  I don't want to reiterate the entirety of the findings, but I'll
> see if they are being published to the web.  Summary is that switching to
> java.nio didn't create miracles.

Interesting.  Well... one day when I have time to do it I will do some
benchmarks on it to see what the real-world difference is.  It may very
well be that _none_ of this matters; even an inefficient Java (or perl
or whatever) program can probably fill up a machine's WAN bandwidth
quite easily on modern hardware.  CPU/$ has improved vastly faster than
WAN/$ over the past few years so maybe conserving CPU is silly now.