tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joe Tomcat <tom...@mobile.mp>
Subject Re: The future of Tomcat and java.nio
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:39:11 GMT
On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 09:25, Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:
> The Servlet 2.4 (Tomcat 5) spec clearly say that we have to support JDK
> 1.3...That's one of the reason why nio is not used. Once 1.4 will be
> required, then we will evaluate the possibility of using nio....Get
> ready to submit patches at that time :-)

I'll be working on those patches.... but the spec talks about the
servlet container, not the connector, right?  So if Tomcat has a
container which relies on NIO it would be ok, right?  And the container
is where NIO would make the most difference.  Servlets still need to run
in plain old threads, but static content (which is where Tomcat is
weakest) are what would benefit from NIO.  In fact, I think that a pure
Java web server using NIO properly (ie, select loop, not threads) may be
able to outperform Apache (which uses threads, not a select loop).
Maybe I will try to write a little select loop http, and then use it as
a container....