tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Mike W-M" <m...@ward-murphy.co.uk>
Subject Re: [OT] Apache-Tomcat mod_jk
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:21:51 GMT
Denise,

In application scenarios like this (and particularly because you seem to
have multiple systems on the go) the thing that you need to consider is
<i>transactions</i>.
You need to consider what happens if there's a failure at any stage in the
process, the aim being to ensure that there's no way you can:
i) charge the customer when it looks like you haven't
ii) charge them but fail to keep a record of it
iii) not charge them but make it look like you have...
iv) etc.
Across multiple systems this can be difficult!  (Particularly if there are
flat-files involved - it's a lot easier to do if you're only using
(transactional) databases.)
Of course it's not actually necessary to work-around all the potential
problems if the business are prepared to take the risk....

Apologies if you knew all that already!

Mike.




----- Original Message -----
From: "Denise Mangano" <DeniseM@complusdata.com>
To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 9:41 PM
Subject: RE: Apache-Tomcat mod_jk


Well I took the novice route and started all over again.  I got Tomcat
4.1.12  itself back up and running, but without mod_jk installed.  I haven't
had a chance to get back to trying again today, but I will tomorrow.  If I
run into the same problems, I will post my entire server.xml file, and
hopefully all you nice people will find something that my untrained eyes
cant.

Maybe a little background on my project will help determine exactly what it
is that I need.  I have a site running on Apache 1.3.27 (mostly HTML, some
XML) on RedHat 7.3.  This site, through a connector, is pulling information
from a UNIX system.  That part works fine.  I get to the last screen, where
the connection to UNIX is broken, but not before I am passed a transaction
number.  I then direct the user to an HTML form, where I collect all their
credit card information.  This is the point I am at now.  What I need to do
from here is collect the info and transmit it to the payment processor
through an API call, which I will either use servlet or JSP.  Then I will
display an updated page that varies depending on what the response is from
the payment processor.  All this over a secure connection of course (which
from what I understand will be another battle).  I then have to send the
info I receive back to the UNIX system to be updated.  (If anyone has any
experience in a similar situation or any input regarding this project it is
definitely welcome).

Hope the background paints a clearer picture...  Will post tomorrow when I
try to set up mod_jk again.

Thanks!


Denise Mangano
Help Desk Analyst
Complus Data Innovations, Inc.



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message